2006 Beachy Head, Eastbourne, Sussex
Issued as part of Royal Mail's 'British Journey' set.
Beachy Head is a chalk headland in East Sussex, England. It is situated close to Eastbourne, immediately east of the Seven Sisters. Beachy Head is located within the administrative area of Eastbourne Borough Council which owns the land.
Beachy Head Lighthouse was built in the sea below Beachy Head. It is 43 m in height and became operational in October 1902.
In 1902 under the direction of Sir Thomas Matthews, the Trinity House Engineer-in-Chief, the present lighthouse was brought into service, sited about 165 metres seawards from the base of the cliffs. It took two years to complete and involved building a coffer-dam and a cableway from the top of the cliffs to carry materials down to the site. 3,660 tons of Cornish granite were used in the construction of the tower.
Beachy Head lighthouse was automated in June 1983.
SPECIAL OFFER: Buy 20 or more 1st class stamps for 55p each.
|Bulk Buying Options|
|2 up to 19|| ||£0.65||per item|
|20 up to 70|| ||£0.55||per item|